
photo by mert alas and marcus piggott
a couple of years later, after I bought my lanvin dress I happened to be looking through the pages of vogue magazine and came across an interview with alber elbaz who was just starting out as head designer for lanvin....I was shocked to learn that elbaz's main inspiration for his spring/summer 2003 collection was that photo of catherine deneuve in my lanvin dress from 1968.
of course, elbaz didn't want to copy it exactly so he decided to re-create a modern day version. the idea was he wanted to create a sexy, but not overexposed party dress....the shape is still very feminine, and a little sheer with a swingy silhouette....I can definetly see elements of my vintage lanvin in the new one.
I must admit I am still to this day amazed that my dress was used as inspiration....what a small fashion world! both dresses are similar and different in so many ways....you can really tell by the details. as much as I admire the new version, I still think I would prefer to wear my vintage lanvin....perhaps, I feel the 1968 version is more my style.

No comments:
Post a Comment